By Frank Kenna
A test recently published by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) indicates health risk factors from which people can estimate their odds of living for the next 10 years. Although JAMA recommends taking it with a doctor, looking it over may give your employees (and you) a good idea of their health-related risk factors.
The quiz focuses on employees over 50 as the more likely candidates to be at near-term death risk. The test has 12 questions and you get points for each ‘yes’ answer. Some are obvious, for example the one regarding smoking, and not so obvious, e.g., if your BMI is in range you get a point. (This may be because thinness at an older age can be a health risk.)
The worst score is 26, which indicates a 95% chance of dying by 2013. A score of zero means you only have a 3% chance of dying. (Sorry guys, you won’t be getting a zero - you automatically get two points for being male.)
Here’s the test as republished on emaxhealth.com. Good luck to you and your employees!
1. What is your age?
60-64 = 1 point
65-69 = 2 points
70-74 = 3 points
75-79 = 4 points
80-84 = 5 points
85+ = 7 points
2. Sex (Male/Female) male = 2 points
3. a. Weight: _____ b. Height: _______
Multiply 703 X (weight in pounds / height in inches²). If BMI is less than 25 score 1 point (Not that the height is squared.)
4. Has a doctor ever told you that you have diabetes or high blood sugar? (Y/N) Yes = 1 point
5. Has a doctor told you that you have cancer or a malignant tumor, excluding minor skin cancers? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
6. Do you have a chronic lung disease that limits your usual activities or makes you need oxygen at home? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
7. Has a doctor told you that you have congestive heart failure? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
8. Have you smoked cigarettes in the past week? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
9. Because of a health or memory problem do you have any difficulty with bathing or showering? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
10. Because of a health or memory problem, do you have any difficulty with managing your money—such as paying your bills and keeping track of expenses? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
11. Because of a health problem do you have any difficulty with walking several blocks? (Y/N) Yes = 2 points
12. Because of a health problem do you have any difficulty with pulling or pushing large objects like a living room chair? (Y/N) Yes = 1 point